Thursday, July 12, 2012

Patience in Practice


About four months ago, I collected some maple seeds that were falling from a tree in my yard. With the aim to make them into a bonsai, I soaked, stratified, and three months later sowed them. I started with 10 seeds, of which, 3 made it past the soaking stage. Of them, only one germinated to full maturity.


These pictures were taken roughly one week ago. Since then, I've replaced the soil and found that one more seedling has sprouted. All in all, it seems to be going well. The stalk is getting big and leaves are starting to get green.


Now, I've tried to grow bonsais before. Usually, they die after a while. Even though it's only been a week, this is farther than I usually get. Many times, I find myself going into my porch to stare at the progress my bonsai has been making. What I have to remember is that growing a bonsai is supposed to be an exercise in patience. Most of the bonsais you see in catalogs and websites are at least a year old.
I was a bit nervous about writing this article since when I pay attention to my bonsais, it tends to jinx them. But I'm giving this bonsai more attention than usual, so I'm hoping it will not be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment